- Safety is a job requirement.
- Take actions to avoid potential hazards and obstructions such as utility lines, other equipment, other workers, and falling objects.
- Adjust hand wheels and depress pedals to control attachments such as blades, buckets, hammers, and swing booms.
- Start engines, move throttles, switches, and levers, and depress pedals to operate machines such as bulldozers, trench excavators, road graders, and backhoes.
- Locate underground services, such as pipes and wires, prior to beginning work.
- Monitor operations to ensure that health and safety standards are met.
- Load and move dirt, rocks, equipment, and materials, using trucks, crawler tractors, power cranes, shovels, graders, and related equipment.
- Drive and maneuver equipment in accordance with Foreman needs and requirements.
- Coordinate machine actions with other activities, positioning or moving loads in response to hand or audio signals from crew members.
- Repair and maintain equipment, making emergency adjustments or assisting with major repairs as necessary.
- Keep records of material and equipment usage, and problems encountered.
- Turn valves to control air and water output of compressors and pumps.
- Operate equipment to demolish and remove debris.