- Assemble, install, test, and maintain electrical or electronic wiring, equipment, appliances, apparatus, and fixtures, using hand tools and power tools.
- Diagnose malfunctioning systems, apparatus, and components, using test equipment and hand tools, to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem.
- Connect wires to circuit breakers, transformers, or other components.
- Inspect electrical systems, equipment, and components to identify hazards, defects, and the need for adjustment or repair, and to ensure compliance with codes.
- Advise management on whether continued operation of equipment could be hazardous.
- Test electrical systems and continuity of circuits in electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using testing devices such as ohmmeters, voltmeters, and oscilloscopes, to ensure compatibility and safety of system.
- Maintain current electrician's license or identification card to meet governmental regulations.
- Prepare sketches or follow blueprints to determine the location of wiring and equipment and to ensure conformance to building and safety codes.
- Use a variety of tools and equipment such as power construction equipment, measuring devices, power tools, and testing equipment including oscilloscopes, ammeters, and test lamps.
- Install ground leads and connect power cables to equipment, such as motors.
- Perform business management duties such as maintaining records and files, preparing reports and ordering supplies and equipment.
- Repair or replace wiring, equipment, and fixtures, using hand tools and power tools.
- Work from ladders, scaffolds, and roofs to install, maintain or repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures.
- Place conduit, pipes or tubing, inside designated partitions, walls, or other concealed areas, and pull insulated wires or cables through the conduit to complete circuits between boxes.
- Construct and fabricate parts, using hand tools and specifications.
- Fasten small metal or plastic boxes to walls to house electrical switches or outlets.
- Provide assistance during emergencies by operating floodlights and generators, placing flares, and driving needed vehicles.