Lay and bind building materials; such as red brick, refractory brick, and refractory block, with mortar and other substances to construct or repair regenerator walls, containment walls, arches, crowns, and other structures.
- Construct corners by building a corner pyramid of bricks, and filling in between the corners using a line from corner to corner to guide each course, or layer, of brick.
- Measure distance from reference points and mark guidelines to lay out work, using plumb bobs, levels, and transit levels.
- Calculate angles and courses and determine vertical and horizontal alignment of courses.
- Break or cut bricks or blocks to size, using trowel edge, hammer, insulation saw, or power saw.
- Remove excess mortar with trowels and hand tools, and finish mortar joints with jointing tools, for a sealed, uniform appearance.
- Interpret blueprints and drawings to determine specifications and to calculate the materials required.
- Apply and smooth mortar or other mixture over work surface.
- Mix specified amounts of sand, clay, dirt, or mortar powder with water to form refractory mixtures.
- Maintain a clean working surface using sponges and rags to remove excess mortar.
- Lay and align bricks or block to build or repair structures.
← See all career opportunities.